Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Networking Vs.Picking Ones Brain

I was listening to my friend Terry Brocks video interview this morning @ http://www.terrybrock.com/ and Terry had a very intriguing conversation with Susan Roane http://www.susanroane.com/ .  Their conversation was based on the difference between networking and picking someones brain.  Got me thinking about how many calls or emails I get (and sometimes make or send myself) asking, "can I pick your brain real quick" or " hey, I've got a quick question". 

What I am realizing is that when I do that or others do that to me what I am really asking for is "can you please give something to me for free that you have worked long and hard to know and and probably spent a lot of money getting to know".  Is that fair? 

I don't think Susan, Terry or I are suggesting that friends and colleagues don't help each other out however there may be a lot to be said for reciprocating. 

How about something more like the idea Terry and Susan bring up about honoring someones knowledge by finding something we can do in return for them. Not just sucking one dry for info and leaving til next time thinking "oh, they know they can call on me anytime".

My friend Geoge Kellerman (www.twitter.com/georgekellerman) always says in his correspondence or conversation "how can I reciprocate".  By that George is telling me "I value what you have shared-can I do something of value for you" 

I know I need to do that more myself - so if I ever ask you, "can I pick your brain" remind me to either change that thought to a networking conversation that is give and take or ask me to reciprocate! 

Susan and Terry suggest come cool ways to show how you value the info you gain from others.  Check out the video interview at http://www.terrybrock.com/

you can follow me on twitter @brownkevinl or my friend Terry @terrybrock

Kevin L. Brown
www.kbsinsight.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, Thanks so much for blogging about the great conversation Terry and I had. I so agree with your input. Coming from Chicago, I learned that reciprocity is a way of life for those who are savvy networkers. Valuing people is a noble and kind thing to do. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete